Friday, April 8, 2011

Keeping a promise!

I look at my blog and realise I have not written in over 18months! Gary, who came to help me sort out my web site, pointed this out to me several weeks ago and I promised him I would update every week - of course I have not. I will now endeavor to do this weekly, so to start off I am going to catch up on the news from Rosquil. Georgina Campbell came to visit! I had contacted her when we won Guest Accommodation of the Year 2010 with the AA. When she rang the door bell I did not recognise her "Hello my name is Georgina" "Georgina?" I replied. When she told me her last name I want the ground to swallow me up. We had a great chat about food, the guest house business & the future. A couple of days later we heard we had been accepted for her book & website. The next week we had a visit from Good Food Ireland, their inspector stays the night and has breakfast in the morning. Very nerve racking. The ethos is to serve Irish products firstly from local producers, if not available then guaranteed Irish from other regions. Phil & I have always put a huge emphasis on out breakfast as those who have stayed know, three kinds of cake, brown bread, poached fruit, Rosquil Granola etc. The cooked choice was just as varied with the traditional breakfast, omelette's and the daily special. Brown bread is not my forte! A lovely lady stayed with us & gave me her fool proof recipe (she actually called home during her visit to get all the ingredients right) and I managed to produce a beautiful loaf. The result is that we are the only accommodation providers in the county or city to belong Good Food Ireland Phil's quote of the day is:- It only took 5 years to become an over night success. We are expecting a secret visitor from another guide book that I am not aloud to talk about - yet! If we get this I will be yelling from the roof tops. With all that is going on around us, the economy, real bad winter weather which put a stop to travel & the struggle small & medium businesses are experiencing especially with credit from the banks the tax payers own, it's good to spread some good news. ............ and Obama might come to Kilkenny. I am planting the herb garden totally wiped out after the second bad winter. The bay tree that I raised from a plant I bought in Dunnes 4 years ago is the only survivor and that looks pretty sick. This year we are at last getting chickens, my friend Anne Neary from Ryelands will have them in six weeks so Phil has to get building the coop & run. Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment